Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hang On Tightly


A few years ago David took all of our Christmas movies and put them onto a DVD. Tristan tried to watch one recently, but it wouldn't work in our DVD player. Today I tried them on my computer where they worked perfectly. I don't know why they won't work in the DVD player, but I know that as soon as they came on my computer screen, I couldn't stop watching them. I watched them for several years' worth of Christmases before I could pry myself away. The kids were so little. They said the cutest things. Their smiles made me smile and smile and then cry.

Sometimes I forget just how much Heavenly Father loves me and blesses me. He has given me the most wonderful gift He could have ever given me by allowing seven of His children to come into our home. When I was in the thick of raising children I didn't always feel that love and sometimes even felt like I was picked on.

The hardest thing about watching these movies today was watching myself with my kids. I didn't act badly or anything, but I know that watching myself back then I didn't really appreciate what a blessing I had like I realize it today. That time went by so quickly. What a shame that when I was in the middle of all the chaos I didn't realize how temporary it was, how fleeting it was.

If I could go back knowing what I know now, I would pay more attention. I would hug more often. I would read more books with someone on my lap or shoulder. I would find more humor. I would take more pictures. I would marvel more at their miracle and worry less about finding some time for myself. I would hang on tightly to the gift of having them in our home.

4 comments:

  1. That is one ugly picture, but I can't stop starting:) Why do Carson and David's teeth look crooked? And I didn't realize the boys were so much taller than Dad. I can't stop smiling, what a funny picture and good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwww that picture totally made my day! It makes me remember when we used to come down there all the time. Carson, Michael, Brittney and I would have sleepovers in tents in the backyard and play hide and go seek! aww good memories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the video didn't work. I'll mention it to Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel! You are not alone! Thank you for making me feel I'm not alone! Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

June 10, 2018

Dear Family and Friends, It has been a couple of months since we attempted to write a letter.  During that time, our days have been fill...