Sunday, July 23, 2017

July 23, 2017

Dear Family,                                                                                                         

Happy Pioneer Day!  We hope you all have a fun day whatever you may be doing.  There was no mention of Pioneer Day here.  That is a pretty foreign concept!

It has been a couple of weeks since we wrote.  Sometimes I feel like there is nothing to write that would sound interesting to you.  Every day we get out of bed, study, sometimes swim a few laps, get ready and make our schedule, and then leave in the car.  Sometimes when we drive away, we only know of one person to go visit.  The amazing thing is that our day ends up being filled up for the most part and we come home tired and happy.  It reminds me of the verses in 1 Nephi 3-4 when Nephi and his brothers return for the brass plates.  On their third attempt to obtain them, Nephi goes by himself.  “And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.” (1Nephi 4:6) On a smaller scale, I am learning that sometimes we show our faith by just going and doing even when we don’t know what to do.  If dad and I just sat around in our apartment, nothing would happen.  But when we go out in the car, every day something pops up and I know it is the Holy Ghost leading us to places that we wouldn’t have thought about had we tried to make our own plan or not do anything.  I love the Primary song, “Nephi’s Courage”.  The words, “I will go, I will do” has become a chorus of faith and trust in the Holy Ghost becoming our third companion in our mission companionship.  He leads us to many places.  We just have to have the faith and the courage to go out and do.

It has been hot here, but occasionally we have a breeze.  I have come to look for and appreciate any small breeze.  I know where the best place to sit in the chapel for the most breeze.  Most days it is so hazy that we can hardly see across the bay.  We don’t know if it humidity, dust or a combination of both.  I just know I haven’t ever suffered with allergies before, but I have had a problem with sneezing and coughing here.  Our neighbor told us to enjoy the breezes because next month it will be dead calm with bright sun and high temperatures. I hope we survive!  When I complain about having to miss Christmas twice while on our mission, dad reminds me, “Aren’t you so glad that we only have to have one summer here?!”

We have a member who introduced us to her neighbors who moved in recently.  We have been by to meet the parents and have an appointment scheduled for this week.  Their 14 year old son has been to church twice now.  He seems to enjoy it and is interested.  We hope the parents will be receptive too.  Of course, they would have to get married, but just think how wonderful it would be to have a family accept the gospel.  They also have 11 year old and four year old daughters.  Keep us all in your prayers.

I thought it would be fun for the grandkids to learn about some of the critters we deal with.  Some of them we can’t see, but we can certainly feel their bites.  The islanders call these little insects, ”No-seeums.”  You may not see them, but their bites are really itchy.  They are more itchy for me than mosquitoes (which we also have) but their bites are not as long lasting as the mosquito bites.

In some homes we are bitten by fleas. They often have pets or unclean apartments and we know they are fleas because when we leave my ankles and feet are giving me an itchy-fit.  Dad is glad for socks when I complain!  I try to rub my feet and legs with a Deet cloth before I go in those homes.  But when I forget I pay for it dearly.

In our apartment we battle little teeny tiny ants.  If we leave an unclean dish out overnight it attracts an ant colony by morning!  Terminex sprays our apartment monthly and that helps a lot.  We have also found a couple of big cockroaches.  Thanks again to Terminex, those are kept at a minimum.

There are hundreds of lizards and geckos that climb all over our building.  We rush to close our door when we enter our apartment so lizards will not take up occupation.  The lizards are brown and the geckos are greenish.  Both of them can climb up and down the building and jump from the handrail into the bushes.  The jumping is the part that scares me!  Also, lately our sidewalk has been home to an iguana (two feet from head to tail).  It is bright green which means it is young and small. But twice I have almost stepped on it.  Of course it makes me scream with surprise!



  

From time to time we have infestations of gongolo worms.  That is what the islanders call them.  They are actually millipedes but no one here calls them that.  We have them at our apartment, but the church is invaded by them.  We think they want to become “Mormon” worms as hundreds try to get into church.  Many have even made it into the baptismal font.  When Kaitlin and Tyler were here it was our turn to clean the church.  They got a good experience with gongolo worms that they will not soon forget.  They aren’t poisonous but if you handle them, they will make your skin have a reaction.  When they die, they stink.  Every Sunday we go early and sweep the gongolo worms out of the church.




Sometimes when we are cleaning the church, we also see Caribbean centipedes.  The ones I have seen have been in the two to three-inch range, but dad has seen lots in other places that were about 6-8 inches long.  These are poisonous and will send you on a trip to the hospital if they bite you.  Good thing only dad has seen the big ones or I would have to have a trip to the hospital for a panic attack.  He is much braver than me.




One critter we have never seen, but we hear plenty of them each night are the Coqui frogs.  They are so LOUD!  When it rains we have a Tabernacle Choir of Coqui frogs! I tried to post a video of their noise but I can't get it to work!   I wonder where they all go during the day when they are silent?




At times driving home when it is dark, with our headlights we see large crabs running sideways across the road.  The islanders "crab hunt" and catch and cage them for sale.  The rumor is that you can't just catch and eat them or they will make you sick.  You have to feed them the right kind of food for a few days before they are edible.  Who knows if that is actually true?  There is a restaurant that puts numbers on their backs for crab races.  Most of the larger ones we have seen have about a 10-12" span, claw to claw.  Some of them are bigger, and the ones of the beach are much smaller.  Any size creeps me out watching them scurry with their beady little eyes extended above their bodies darting sideways here and there.  Needless to say, I am cured of ever ordering crab for dinner. 




There are hundreds of Roosters and chickens with their chicks darting everywhere on the island.  This has to be the place where the joke about the chicken crossing the road came from.  You often have to stop the car while a chicken and her chicks cross the roads.  They are all wild.  Not even the islanders will kill them to eat because of their garbage diet.  There are hundreds of wild cats also, but the islanders often leave water out for them.  They like them as they keep the mouse and rat problem in hand.  Speaking of mice, we took the mission president and his wife to visit a member.  While they were visiting, a mouse kept running in from the kitchen, looking at us and running back.  I had to keep my mouth shut so I didn’t interrupt the conversation,  but my eyes were glued on the mouse.  I’m sure there are lots of mice in lots of houses we are in that we just haven’t seen. 

Hope you have enjoyed our little discourse on the critters we know and love.

Our new mission president and his wife were here with us on our island last week.  We grew to love them quickly and really enjoyed spending four days with them.  Amazing people and amazing sacrifices for the Lord so they could be here.



We hope you are enjoying summer.  Everything gets so scheduled out that we hope you are taking time to read the scriptures and have family prayer.  Pull your children in close to you and express your testimonies to them often.  We don’t want to lose anyone!!!

Well that’s about it for this time.  Thanks for keeping in touch with us.  Most days we do great, but we have moments of missing you all and wishing we could get some grandkid hugs.

Love you all so much,
Dad and Mom,
Grandpa and Grandma










No comments:

Post a Comment

June 10, 2018

Dear Family and Friends, It has been a couple of months since we attempted to write a letter.  During that time, our days have been fill...