Monday, April 13, 2009

Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone, Oh Where Oh Where Can He Be?


This morning I was walking in the cemetery with my friends. As we came around the corner, I could see Murphy running down the street outside the cemetery fence. For years, I have had to shut him in the garage when I go walking so he wouldn't follow me because there is a "No Dogs" sign posted at the cemetery. He has gotten so old and worn out that for the last year he hasn't even tried to follow me. So when we saw him this morning we were all surprised. He has cataracts and doesn't hear very well. We watched him cross the street and squeeze through the gate and start running through the cemetery. I started yelling and whistling at him, but he didn't see us or hear us. We followed him, but since he was running he got too far ahead of us. It was so strange to see him running! We watched him as he crossed the old bridge over the canal and ran across Main Street and disappeared by Lins. I had driven my car to the cemetery so that I could run some errands after I walked, so I got the car and drove over to find him. I looked for 30 minutes and couldn't see him. I came home pretty worried. When I looked at my phone messages I could see that Tristan had called me three times and Richfield City offices had also called. I called the city back and they said that Rich Persons was driving on Main Street and saw him cross the road and then later saw him up by the Chevron at the freeway entrance. So, he loaded Murphy up and drove him to the city offices, where they looked up his dog tags and called me. When they couldn't get in touch with me (since I was out looking for Murphy!), they called Jones and DeMille. Tristan was in meetings so they got in touch with Carson. Anyway, the city wouldn't keep Murphy, so Rich Persons took him to his house and I just went and picked him up. Rich said that Murphy was all tuckered out. I bet! He was glad to see me and now he sticks to me like glue. Besides cataracts and loss of hearing, now I worry that he has alzheimers and will take to wandering the streets like my grandma. What an eventful morning!

3 comments:

  1. It is so sad, but it made me laugh when I read this, even though I had already talked to you. I am glad he is ok. When his life does end, I hope it isn't because he just disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sad! Poor thing! Maybe we'll have to start locking him up in the backyard so, like Lara said, the end of his life isn't because he just disappeared. Hasn't he tried crossing main street before? But he's never gone clear to the freeway has he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sad! I love Murphy! I am glad you found him! Hopefully this summer I will be able to spend some time over at your house. I sure miss your whole family! I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

June 10, 2018

Dear Family and Friends, It has been a couple of months since we attempted to write a letter.  During that time, our days have been fill...