Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dear Brothers and Sisters


No, this is not a talk for church, but a reflection on family relationships. This morning Tristan and all of our kids except for Lara left together for a four wheeler adventure. They all were here last night getting ready to go, other than Carson, who stayed at his own home. Once your kids leave home for marriage, schooling, or careers, it isn't often that you get to have them back home without their families or friends. What a treat it was for me to watch them relating to each other. Never before have tin foil dinners been assembled with so much laughter and artwork on the foil. Just as when they were younger, the name calling was flying back and forth. This time, however, it was in an affectionate manner and made me laugh instead of making me frustrated. This morning when Carson arrived, I couldn't help but smile when the name calling focused in on him. It was great to see them as kids again, going off on their adventure. They insisted that I come with them, even loaded a wheeler for me, but it seemed to me that there was magic in their being together and not having their mother around to worry over them.
When my mom had her heart surgery this past fall, my brothers and I spent the whole day together running errands, waiting out the surgery, and talking non-stop for all those hours. It was a rare time when none of our spouses or families were there. It was a day that reminded me of how much I love my brothers.
I hope my kids and Tristan have a good time on their ride today. I hope they really enjoy being brothers and sisters.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how fun...I remember going four wheeling it was so much fun. Going with Mike and Carson and get crickets all smooshed on the tires. Aww maybe some day I can come do it again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad we couldn't come. I hope everyone had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

June 10, 2018

Dear Family and Friends, It has been a couple of months since we attempted to write a letter.  During that time, our days have been fill...